Saturday, June 27, 2015

Hot Jam, Summer in the City

Last year I made Jalapeno Jelly and I truly dug it.  I enjoyed eating it with homemade goat cheese.  I was pretty skeptical that I would like it because I'm not that into spicy things.  So, I made a small patch that netted 2.5 8 oz jars.  I gave 1 full jar to my folks, one to the in-laws and was sure that 1/2 of a jar would be plenty for my consumption.  Once I tried the jam, I knew I totally miscalculated.  I enjoyed every last drop of my jam and vowed to make more next time around.

Flash forward to next year, and we planted like 8 hot pepper plants.  2 padron peppers.  2 jalapenos, 1 serrano, 1 fresno chili, and I can't remember what the other two were and I've since lost the signs.  I figured I would likely also do atkins again this year and there's nothing like jalapenos, cream cheese and bacon as a diet staple food, right?

Earlier in the week I selected 4-5 peppers, plus one bell pepper for the purpose of making jam.  But every night I was too exhausted and the weather was just too hot to heat up a kitchen with all the canning falderal.

However, tonight was the night.  I still made a small recipe because of the relatively small yield I have ripe... but this time I might not share.






No comments:

Post a Comment