Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Cold-ma-gedon: California Style

Last week it was really cold.  I'll pause while people from real winter places laugh at me.  But for California, it was cold.  It got down to the twenties at night and I had a lot of small tender plants just trying to get established.  

So, J. ran out and bought some plastic coverings.  While the plants did look pretty droopy and sad in the mornings ... they seem to have come out of the cold streak mostly unharmed.   I wish I could say the same for poor J.  He slipped on ice and had a nasty spill on the pavers. :(

One of the nice things to come out of this freeze is that since I assumed most of the plants would die in the cold, every day that they are still around feels like bonus time!  It makes salads taste better, and it's not a bad way to live life.  Every day is a bonus.

Also, since the potato plant totally died, I got to dig up some yummy new potatoes.







No comments:

Post a Comment