Thursday, October 24, 2013

Crust Bust

Note:  This will be an honest blog.  Sure, half of blogging is bragging about something and that's fun and all.  But I strive to share my good times and bad.  And on that note...

Insert whining sound:

I can't for the life of me make a pie crust.   I've tried repeatedly and I think I officially give up.

I used the recipe from Pioneer Woman.  I think it's a fine recipe -- I'm the problem.  I can't seem to roll the dough out to the proper thickness without having it crack and fall apart on me.  So, I ended up using way too thick pie crust dough that then doesn't cook all the way though.

Here's a picture of a rustic peach pie that I made.  The black stuff is the filling that oozed out through cracks and then burned.    I used the other half of this recipe which makes 2 crusts in a quiche tonight.
 While the filling tasted great, the crust was inedible except for the parts that poked up the top so they actually cooked through.

Once I tried to short cut the pie crust making by buying the trader joes crusts.  They come in a roll.  I have no clue what I did wrong there, but that raw dough basically came apart like confetti when I unrolled it from the plastic wrap.

There is no hope.  This shall be a pie-less home for all of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment